Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.
What is Conveyancing?

Put simply, conveyancing is the legal process of transferring the title of a property from one person to another.

Why should I use a conveyancer?

Selling or purchasing property is one of the biggest financial transactions of your life. Due to the financial and legal aspects of transferring property, the consequences of making a mistake can be both costly and heartbreaking.

By having a licensed conveyancer take care of your property transfer, their qualifications and experience can help protect your assets.

A licensed conveyancer has an in-depth understanding of the law concerning property transactions, is required by law to carry professional indemnity insurance, and unlike some solicitors that offer conveyancing, can focus solely on property transfer instead of other legal matters.

Are my interests protected when I use a conveyancer?

Absolutely. All licensed conveyances in New South Wales must be fully trained and qualified before being granted a licence and are required to have professional indemnity insurance in place to ensure your rights are protected.

Do we need to use a solicitor as well as a conveyancer?

No. Conveyancers are specialists who are educated and qualified to provide expert advice in relation to matters on conveyancing law. We do not handle other legal matters such as wills, divorces, criminal matters, personal injury claims and the like. This means our attention is not diverted by other legal matters.

Is a conveyancer cheaper than a solicitor?

Usually yes. Generally conveyancers will charge a flat fee plus any associated disbursements, whereas solicitors usually charge on a scale depending on the sale or purchase price of the property.
What is a Power of Attorney?

If you need another person to act for you in legal and financial matters, you can appoint that person as your "attorney". For example, you may be going overseas or you may be physically disabled. Your attorney can do anything on your behalf that you can do in financial and legal matters. This appointment ends automatically if you die, but can continue after you have lost mental capacity - such a grant is called an enduring power of attorney. Donna Westwood is authorised to provide powers of attorney.

Disclaimer: The answers to these frequently asked questions are for information purposes only and must not be relied on as a substitute for legal advice.